Tuesday, December 4, 2012

photo essay story of Chris McCandless


While reading Jon Krakauer’s Into the Wild I realized that Chris McCandless and I have some similarities.  In my photo essay I am using pictures that I have taken to tell the story of Chris McCandless, as well as their significance to me. 

Chris McCandless went on an adventure across the country, down to Mexico, and up to Canada and Alaska.  This is a picture of a backpack, a .22 caliber rifle, beat up cheap hiking boots, and bags of rice.  This is what Chris McCandless (Alexander Supertramp) took into the Alaskan wilderness.  Christopher McCandless took a backpack with some supplies, bags of rice, non-insulated or weatherproof hiking boots, and a .22 rifle.  McCandless didn’t take necessary supplies such as an axe, bug dope, snowshoes, compass, and map.  This shows how unprepared McCandless was going into the wilderness.  I am similar to Chris McCandless in the way that I have done things unprepared.  I hiked around in tennis shoes and used my school backpack, until I recently got proper gear.   



 

Chris McCandless had an unexpected turn when his car was damaged by a flash flood.  McCandless neglected the warning signs and took his car where he wasn’t suppose to go.  This is a picture of a warning sign showing no vehicle access.  Even though Chris McCandless journey took an unexpected turn he just kept going.  This relates to me because I believe that you are going to have unexpected turns in life and you just have to go with them. 
This is picture represents Chris McCandless’s life traveling on the road by foot.  This is a picture of a man with his pack, on the road.  This photo use to be a silhouette but I had to edit it in photoshop because I scanned a print.  This photo has no significance to me but it represents McCandless. 
 



Chris McCandless valued his freedom.  McCandless had the freedom on the open road.  This photo is of wild horses in Arizona.  These horses have the freedom to roam across the landscape, as long as there aren’t fences.  I value my freedom too. 



This photo represents Chris McCandless trip to Alaska.  Alaska is where Chris McCandless walked into the wilderness.  This is a photo of snow caped mountains taken behind Yosemite.  Since I don’t have an pictures when I was in Alaska as a child, this represents Alaska.  This photo also represents nature.  Chris McCandless and I both had a love of nature. 

Chris McCandless died in the Alaskan wilderness.  This photo is of a cross in a unkempt Arizona graveyard.  The photo represents Chris’s death and the end of his story. 

1 comment:

  1. I very much enjoyed your creative approach to this post and I hope you'll share it w the class on Monday or Wednesday. I like how you gathered up & photographed what would have been his supplies. I also like how you connected the pics back to Chris and also yourself, where relevant. Really good.

    ReplyDelete